Board index    

Pain pain pain...

General off-topic chat

Pain pain pain...

Postby Bri » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:58 am

Ow.

Ankle is not happy with me right now; one of my tendons is burning horribly along the outside of my ankle, and I'm generally uncomfortable. Trying my best to stay off of it today, which is a difficult prospect since I'm actually at battle assembly, but I'm trying. Also trying to keep it elevated in the hopes that putting next to no weight on it will help. I'm debating temporarily going back to using two crutches, at least while I'm out and about, until I can see my ortho and find out if this is something I should be worried about. In the meantime... *sigh* Guess I'm going to be suffering a bit. Stupid ankle...
Sins are very desirable... as long as no one judges you for them.
Judge of the First Annual JQStyle Christmas Contest 2010
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Re: Pain pain pain...

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 am

I;m sorry to hear its still acting up, Bri. It sounds like its healing, just...not as fast as you want/it should. I certainly hopes it behaves more tomorrow. You were starting back up at work, right? I'm going to be keeping my fingers crossed tonight. Keeping it elevated should help. If you can get away with the crutches at work, it might be the best idea, as unfun as it might be
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Saw ortho today. Ankle is healing well; the burning was more due to the fact that I have not really made any attempts to move my foot from the position it's been in for nearly a month, and as a result my tendons are becoming very tense. I've been doing hot baths with Epsom salts, which seems to be helping a lot (tendons haven't been really burning for some time) and my ortho said I should be moving my foot around a bit to keep the tendons and ligaments stretched some. I will also be requesting that my chiropractor, whom I see on Friday, let me do some cold laser treatments on my ankle to help speed the healing; that therapy promotes healing in the soft tissues, so while it will do nothing for the fractures, the tendons and ligaments will likely feel much better after a couple of sessions. With any luck I'll be down to no crutches by the end of next week (down to one crutch right now), and I'm going to temporarily try to see my chiro every week until my next follow up appointment with my ortho in a month for the cold laser treatments.

As for my new job; I am having a lot of fun there. I started on Monday and I can already tell that this job is FINALLY going to help me build my skillset in general intelligence analysis. I am having fun so far; we'll see how things go!!
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, I've never heard of cold laser treatments, but that sounds freaking awesome, just by the name. Cold Laser...word. *has a childish moment* in all seriousness, I am glad that you're healing up. Down to once crutch is great news, and I can totally see how not moving the leg often would cause the tendons to kind of tense up. Hopefully, the weekly visits will help.

I'm glad its a fun start, on the new job. I certainly hope it stays that way, and doesn't become dull after a while. That you know you can grow you skillset here is awesome. Thats one of the few good things about where I currently work: I am adding to my skills all the time.
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:50 am

GAH I HATE MY BOOT RIGHT NOW.

I'm at the stage of healing where the boot itself is causing me more drama than the damn injury is. It's unwieldy, heavy, and a pain in the ass to deal with.

Don't mind me, just blowing off steam. On the plus side; my movements are becoming slightly (emphasis on that word) more fluid in my foot. I'm able to partially curl my toes (couldn't do it at all about a week ago), and the range of motion in my ankle is increasing somewhat. It's still a pain to move, but I am definitely on track to lose the crutches altogether soon. I may try an experiment today; my cat has an appointment at the vet, so I may try to see if I can get around without the crutch entirely during the period of time I'll be out. I'm not sure I want to push it like that though; I may wait until Tuesday and test it out at work instead. We'll see. Anyway, I had the first cold laser treatment yesterday, and I should start seeing some effects in a day or two. I'll go back next Friday to get another treatment done; I think I'm going to ask my chiro to concentrate on the Achilles tendon this time though, because oddly enough, when I curl my toes, I can feel it more in my Achilles than in the tendons on the top of my foot. I'm hoping that will help speed the range of motion increases up.

Anyways... *sigh* That's where I'm at right now.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Good to hear things are on the "tiny" mend. Hopefully they will progress well. Did you try your experiment, with the vet trip, or decide to let it rest up a bit more, and use the crutches, until Tuesday?
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Rested, will try tomorrow actually. I'll bring the crutch with me to work, then find some out of the way place to keep it and try to get around for a while on no crutch. I don't anticipate I'll be walking THAT much, so I think it'll work.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Sounds good/ Consider my fingers crossed. Let me know how it goes!
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Did not work as well as I hoped.

I did manage to go part of the day (usually just short distances) without the crutch, but not as much as I hoped I would. Dammit.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Bri » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:53 am

And last night I paid for it. I was hurting most of the night; couldn't find a comfortable position, and eventually was forced to take one of my leftover Vicodin to help deal with the pain. My cat was not being helpful either; she kept wanting to play while I'm lying there trying to relax enough to deal with the pain. I had to shut her in her room eventually. God I HATE this...
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:56 pm

>_< I'm sorry to hear that :( i guess its going to be using the crutch for the next couple of weeks, eh?
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:00 am

Well, I am still trying to make it short distances without the crutch. At home, I walk around without it entirely. My main problem is the relatively long distances I have to walk to get anywhere in my building at work; the entire area is set up like a convoluted maze and it takes a decent amount of walking to get anywhere pretty much. I've been trying to gauge when I need the crutch and when I don't; not sure if I'm really succeeding though.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 am

Honestly, I would stick to just using the crutch all the time at work. Theres nothing wrong with taking it slow to avoid reinjury :)
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 am

Second session of cold laser therapy completed.

Honestly, I really do think it's helping. My ankle is feeling much better today than it has been. I also iced it last night because there's evidence my ankle has been swelling somewhat due to the fact that the boot IS holding it immobile and is therefore putting some strain on my tendons to compensate, and soaking it almost daily in Epsom salt baths. I'm regaining some range of motion and can halfway curl my four smaller toes (still cannot curl my big toe as of yet).

With any luck, once my long weekend is over the whole walking without my crutch thing will be doable. Fingers crossed!
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 am

well consider my fingers very much crossed. Nice and tightly even. I am glad to hear that things are looking up :)
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Sooo, good news: I am boot-free!

Bad news: my ankle is still hurting a good deal as a result of the remaining soft tissue injuries that will require a LOT of physical therapy to fix. I had my first massage therapy session today, and while I now have greater range of motion in my foot, my ankle is sore and throbbing a good deal. I've iced it and will be taking some anti-inflammatory meds before bed, but I really hope it's not still hurting so badly tomorrow; I had plans to do a lot of things that sort of require me being mobile.

However, I am still pleased as punch to be out of the damned boot!
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:32 am

so, was it throbbing and inflamed the next day? soft tissue stress can take a few days to ease up as I recall.

I am glad to hear you are out of that boot! Every little step helps, right?
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Return to The Hang Out