Board index    

So yeah, not sure if you guys know this...

General off-topic chat

So yeah, not sure if you guys know this...

Postby Bri » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:35 pm

...but... I'm going to be overseas for a year. In Afghanistan.

I got a new job which entails that deployment time. In an odd way, I'm looking forward to it; it'll be a change from my old routines. By the same token though, I'm a little unnerved at being away from home for so long. Basically my emotions are running the gamut right now. *LOL* Anyways... I start work on Tuesday the 10th of February, and I should be heading downrange in early March. Thought you all should know.
Sins are very desirable... as long as no one judges you for them.
Judge of the First Annual JQStyle Christmas Contest 2010
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Re: So yeah, not sure if you guys know this...

Postby Andrea » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 am

OMG Bri! You need to email me sometimes or something so I know you're okay!
¿Dónde están los fans de JQ?
Bri's choice winner of July 2010 Clique Fan Art Contest
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Bri » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:15 am

False alarm; sorry.

Turns out I'm nondeployable for medical reason on the civilian side of things too. I've already gone through early retirement from the military for the back issues I suffer; and now it's affecting my civilian job too. :evil:

I'm a bit pissed off, but hopefully will still have a job; they're trying to see if there's any other positions they have that I might be a good fit for.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Andrea » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Oh man.. I hope they find you another position there.

Although i am kinda glad you aren't deploying... >.> Sorrie, but I would be worried about you!
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Bri » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:31 pm

And now there's this lovely happening in my life...

Went out at around 2PM one day to see a movie, and came back at about 5PM to find that in the interim, a couple of pipes that had frozen due to the frigid temperatures had burst and were in the process of FLOODING MY FUCKING HOUSE.

Thank zombie baby Jesus for homeowners insurance, because otherwise I would be so severely fucked it's not funny. As of right now, the water restoration guys had to tear up about two-thirds of the carpet upstairs to dry out the flooring; they've had to tear down the the entire ceiling almost as well as the drywall along most of one wall in my garage as well as remove the insulation in the other walls; and the worst part is, they aren't done yet. The tile in my bathrooms is still registering as damp to their sensors, as is the hardwood flooring in my first floor, so they're going to have to tear the tile in the bathrooms up as well as a good portion of the hardwood on the first floor and replace it all. If it weren't for homeowner's insurance, I'd be looking at probably over twenty-five thousand dollars worth of repairs.

As it is, I'm going to try to use this opportunity to my advantage. My insurance won't cover a full remodel, but I've been intending to remodel my master bathroom for some time for various reasons, so I figure since they're tearing up the tile anyway, I might as well find out how much more expensive it would be to totally remodel it. I'm probably looking at a couple thousand over the cost of the tile replacement, but I can't help but want to take advantage of that possibility, and I've got the funds if I talk to my financial advisor about it, which I have.

And to top off the cherry on my shit sundae this past week, I have been fighting an upper respiratory illness that resulted in greenish sputum literally sitting on my vocal cords and effectively paralyzing them, to the point that I lost my voice for about three days. I'm finally recovering from that, and I should have more info on the home repairs come next week, so keep your fingers crossed for me, okay?

And as regards the job; I've been offered another position with the company, depending of course upon whether the client thinks I'm a good fit, so I'm not technically unemployed, but I'm not making any money either. Sigh.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 am

I saw youre facebook post a bout that and whoooo boy. I just bought a house - seeing you go thru that terrified the ever loving fuck out of me. Just so you know.
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:34 pm

Get homeowners insurance. Seriously. And if you're eligible for USAA, get their homeowners insurance specifically. They have been so fucking awesome it's not even funny.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:39 am

I have Homeowners insurance through the same place I had life insurance - state farm. Im thinking i might have gotten reamed on the annual costs tho >.<

NOt sure if i qualify for USAA. I'm not military, and neither of my parents were. Both (now deceased) Grandfather were tho, but they never joined, to the best of my knowledge
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Andrea » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 am

Wow bri :( I know this is a while back, did you get the job and did you end up remodeling?
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Bri » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:31 pm

I did get the job; and while the repairs did happen, the remodel did not. I did not have the funds I thought I did to cover that. However I only had to cover $1000 of a close to $50,000 repair to the house, so it's all good. I had the carpet completely replaced upstairs, all the drywall fixed, the tile in both bathrooms replaced, and about half the hardwood flooring in my first floor replaced and the entire floor refinished.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Andrea » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:57 pm

Nice!
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Return to The Hang Out