Board index    

The Great Jonny Quest Revival Extravaganza!

Join the Extravaganza for your shot at pride, glory and a little JQ immortality!

The Great Jonny Quest Revival Extravaganza!

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:47 am

I'm thinking we could do an on-going 6 month event with new festivities, contests, challenges and awards every month culminating in the overall 2010 fan fiction and fan art winners.

These activities would span the JQStyle forum, the JQML and the FFN boards but have a central hub here (if that's ok with you Andrea) and for people who don't want to sign up but would rather just stay in the venue they're most comfortable with, I'll send out bi-monthly newsletters to keep everyone on the same page.

Each month will have two types of activities: Judged Themes and Questies' Choice awards.

Judged Themes:
These will consist of fic/art challenges with a theme for all pieces that are submitted to this section for that month.
That month's theme will be announced on the 20th of the previous month and submissions can be sent to the panel of judges from the 1st of the month to the 20th. All submissions for the themes should be sent directly to the judge panel so as to prevent later submissions copying the earlier ones. The judges will have from the 20th until the 29th to read all the submissions and vote. On the 30th of that month, we'll send out a newsletter announcing the winners and including every submission that was received.

I'm looking for 3 - 5 people to apply for a position on the Judge's Panel each month. Judges may submit their own pieces to be included in that month's newsletter, but obviously cannot receive any awards or placing in the Judged Theme portion of the contest.

Questors' Choice:
These will be sent to both the hostess (me) and whoever else the submitter feels like sharing the story with at that time (since these are free-form, there's no concern with copying each other) by the 15th of the month they want to be entered into the contest for.
These can be any type of prose, poetry or art created at any time. This means that you can brush up that fic you wrote three years ago and submit it.
On the 16th, all submissions sent to me will be included in a newsletter sent to everyone involved in the contest. The Questors (anybody) can then rate any number of fics and art they want on a scale of 1 to 10 for the following categories:
Action
Drama
Romance
Humor
Overall.
The stories with the top three averages in each category will be considered the Questors' Choice winners for that month.

On December 1st, I'll send out all the award winners for every category back out to be voted on for the Best of 2010.

Winners of the December contest will be entered into the Best of 2011 nominations.

I was thinking, if this was the hub, maybe there could be a separate section for the Revival Extravaganza which would archive the following for every month:
That month's theme
Theme winners
All submissions
Judge Panel
Questor's Choice Winners
All Questor's Choice Submissions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what do you think?

Does that all make sense? Any questions? Any better ideas? Any tweaks?
It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Re: The Great Jonny Quest Revival Extravaganza!

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 am

Also, I was thinking the first month (July)'s theme could be:
The Life of a Villain.
Piece must be from the perspective of a JQ villain - Surd, Rage, Zin, even that douche from Manhattan Maneater - or about said villan.
For Fan Artists, this means anything to do with a JQ villain but bonus points for them doing something villainy as opposed to just a portrait.
We'll be looking for:
- Our favorite piece
- The funniest piece
- The most sinister piece
- The best villainy fail
- The best JQ villain + JQ hero hookup (Hadji + Malayna? doesn't count)
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:20 am

I love this idea! I can dedicate a forum to it right here. It would also do great at helping me find fan artists/ fan fiction writers to post work on here, you know being that I am so awkward about randomly messaging people.

I think that the judges should be the same each month, though. There should also be a voting poll of course, so that everyone can have a vote. Viewer's choice or something like that. I think having the same 3-5 judges would give it a more steady thing. It would be great to use people that have their name in the community somehow. Ex: Meach.

If we use 5 regular judges then that gives a bit of wiggle room if one or two people can't do it on a month.

I don't know if my name is big enough, but I would LOVE to be one of these judges.

I can also dedicate a section on the site (something like the clique, but not adult) to this. Oh and any time you want to post a "blog" on the front page of JQStyle, just PM me and I'll get it up for you.

We could also do a month of adult fiction... does ff.net allow adult fiction anymore?
¿Dónde están los fans de JQ?
Bri's choice winner of July 2010 Clique Fan Art Contest
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:46 am

M rating is as high as FFN goes. I checked when I was writing one of my other fics. :P

The thought of an entire adult month crossed my mind. I wonder if it would be better to dedicate one month to it or to have a section for "Favorite adult moment" every month.
Probably the month dedicated to it. Will get people's naughty imaginative juices flowing.

And I can see the steady judges being cool, just thought it'd be neat to give different people a crack at it... such as past months' winners. Maybe there could be a panel of 4 steady judges and 1 guest seat each month. Will give some stability + some dynamic to it. It'll be like last month's celebrity judge.
And I don't think the judges necessarily need to be big names. Would help to maybe have one or two big names by JQ 'verse reputation... one or two by writing reputation.
Maybe the judges could be nominated and voted on. Which would definitely bring some equilibrium to the stage - you get to vote on the people who will be voting on you.

As far as viewer's choice, that's why I broke it up into two segments - one that everybody votes on and one that just the judges vote on. Maybe after the contest, there could be a poll on who everybody else thought should win.

As far as the Questor's Choice section, I'd rather have everybody's votes sent to the panel of judges or me than in a poll because 1. There's several different sections to keep track of and 2. Privacy. What if someone voted your story as a 1 overall? I think it'd be better to just give everyone their averages at the end. Plus, I wouldn't want someone else's vote swaying the next person.

Also, I think the judges should give at least one or two sentences of feedback on each story submitted. It's like free reviews right there.

Just some thoughts. :)
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:55 am

I'd love to be a judge, too, but I also think it'd be fun to project a very formal host persona and I don't think mixing host + judge is very official.

The more glamorous and big and... formal we make it the better, I think. And more fun. Pretend like we're hosting a serious awards show.

Plus, with the steady judges, that means you wouldn't be able to participate (win) in any of the contests for the whole year. But maybe that'd be a good thing. A previous judge might be favored over the other contestants.

Also, do you think you could draw up some award images that people could put in their signatures for those on the forum? Or even those on FFN to put on their profile page. 1 for first place in any of the categories in any month, 1 for the second place in any of the categories and 1 for third place. If they're the same every month, repeat winners can kind of collect them in their signature. Maybe the image can be the same for each place but there could be a section for the individual's category award and name?
Something thin so that the signatures wouldn't get clunky if you stacked them.
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 am

Aspen.Shiyan wrote:Maybe the image can be the same for each place but there could be a section for the individual's category award and name?

And month.
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:22 am

Also, given the quantity of fans we have at this exact moment, if we have 5 judges, we might have no one left over to be contestants!

Maybe we could start with three judges the first month to get things going, and then if people hear about it and get into it, we can add one more steady judge and a guest judge.
(I don't think I'm going to let go of the idea of a guest judge. :P)
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:25 am

I like the idea of 4 constants and 1 extra.. that seems the best way to go. :) It gives people a chance to get involved.

I would personally prefer to judge over actually writing in it for sure.

The awards I think I can do a gold silver and bronze thing each month.. maybe 200x100 or something and it'll say "Gold winner July 2010 blah blah" and the picture on it would have to do with that particular month's subject.
And of course if they are a member of this forum, it is tagged in their signature.

I think that this is definitely doable!

I wonder if we could get in contact with Suze and Debbie...? O_O

I can definitely ask Meach.

Do you have Skype?
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:29 am

I do have skype! I'll PM it to you. It happens to be my full real name and I'm not sure I want that out there for everyone to see. :P

Also - I'm thinking about going back on having a first, second and third place for all the categories. I think there should be just a first place for each category and a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for the Overall favorite/winner.
That'd still be a damn lot of awards every month. Depending on the turnout, probably everyone could get something. Unless you were just absolutely terrible.
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:35 am

lol @ the last bit

The awards would have a pretty basic base so it wouldn't be too hard to make them every month. We could also have another base one for each month that just says "I participated in..."

the turn out probably won't be too huge at first, which will actually be good for the first couple months while we figure out how exactly to do things. Even though it will be super sad and heartbreaking when we don't have 100 submissions. :P
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:39 am

100 submissions? Good God. I'm definitely not being a judge. :P
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Postby Andrea » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:42 am

lol :P
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby retrojess64 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:10 am

Sounds fun.

I'm thinking about something in the art category. Is it okay if I do something that's more classic JQ oriented instead of with TRA? I want to do Jonny/Denise one shot from the original series. :D

Also have have some other stuff left over on my dA account. God, i'm chocked full of ideas.
retrojess64
Small Time Fan

Postby Andrea » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:18 am

When she gets on, she'll have to answer it.

I don't think it'll be an issue though. It's hard to get involvement of any kind because even hardcore JQ fans seem to be ignoring it these days. :(
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Aspen.Shiyan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:50 am

I'm totally -not- cool with limiting people's creative expression. Especially in a forum like this. I mean, in some cases, it's necessary, like put the AO stuff in the Clique and what not... but basically you should do what inspires you.
Aspen.Shiyan
True Quest Fan

Return to JQ Revival Extravaganza