Board index    

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Chat of TV and movies

Re: SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 pm

Man, it is very, very obvious that you have put a lot of serious thought into this. Which makes it awesome ^_^.

I do find mysel wishing i was far more familiar with Criminal Minds, since they will become essential pieces of this story's framework. That said, I've read cross over fics before where I only know one character/series and not hte other, and still find them to be great.

And you having Holmes as a 'consultant' reminds me so much of White Collar all the sudden, which makes me smile
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Heh. :)

Criminal Minds is an awesome show; you really should check it out. Reid's a lot like Holmes in some ways; he's very analytical and has a lot of trivia about specific areas of stuff in his head. Mainly serial killer related of course, but he's also a genius and a prodigy; he's got at least one, maybe two Ph.D.s and he's barely in his late-twenties. I also love the rest of the people on the team; I'll admit I'm not as aware of the backgrounds of some of them like I am of Reid and Garcia, who's the technical genius who handles all the computer searches and such, but they're all awesome characters.

I have to admit, I have not put near as much thought into any fanfic as I have into this one. I've really made an effort to try and figure out ways around any issue that comes up with the plot, and I've gone back and made edits to nearly every scene just to tighten up my language and wording, or check and see if something makes sense; I didn't care as much about that in the past, which I think made me not as interested in my stories or less willing to have them be seen by others. I'm actually getting to the point where I'm somewhat proud of this fic. I keep going over areas in my head and figuring out whether they're essential to the plot or not, and I've actually discarded several scenes that would have been pretty darn funny, but weren't really essential to advance the plot at all.

For instance, I thought I'd put in a scene once Annika and Holmes got to the future where she goes around and explains a lot of the various stuff in her house to Holmes, and he does something stupid with one item because he doesn't understand it, but in reality that doesn't help the plot at all and doesn't do Holmes any favors either, so I discarded it. It would have been funny though. *chuckles*
Sins are very desirable... as long as no one judges you for them.
Judge of the First Annual JQStyle Christmas Contest 2010
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Maybe i;ll see if i can add it on netflix. End up watching it in a few months *Chuckles*. As for not including the scene, you could do something like a 'bluper reel' or 'delete scenes' chapter, if you still wanted to write out the encounter >.>
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Nah; again, it doesn't do Holmes any favors, and while it might be amusing at first, after a while it sort of felt to me like I was poking fun at a person who absolutely couldn't help being a particular way. I mean, the man would have been forcibly removed from his own time and thrust into a time he had very little frame of reference for (Annika at least had the benefit of knowing in a general fashion how things were in the Victorian era, although she's by no means a historian); of COURSE he's going to make mistakes. Poking fun at them smacks of kicking someone when they're down to me. So it's unlikely that scene or some others I've thought of will ever make it into print. I have to pick and choose the details I get into or this fic will end up being extremely long. I've already had to skim over the mechanics of Watson, Maddie, and Holmes learning something about Annika that hindered communication (not sure if you've read the chapter yet) by intimating that they spent their time in daily lessons (in between Holmes' other cases and Watson seeing patients), and that they were merely quick enough to pick up the lessons by rote memorization, although Holmes was always going to be the fastest at it, not only because of his intellect, but also because of his drive to understand things. Point is, a good author knows what scenes to include and which to leave out, so I've had to make sure that each scene that makes it in advances the plot in some way.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:57 am

Yeah, i know what part you're talking about, and I kind of figured that those lessons, so to speak, wouldn't get a detailed description, just that they would happen over time while all parties adjust. And as for leaving those scenes out, that makes sense. If you were trying to do a purposely humorus story, that might be one thing ,but at least from the first chapter, this is a thrilling mystery (sci fi) story, not a bunch of giggles. Thats not saying there won't be humorus moments, I'm sure, since all good books have bits of humor, but that it's not the focus, so (IMHO) scenes whose sole focus is to poke fun at a brilliant detective, I can see how those won't fit with the rest of what you are trying to achive ^_^
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Yep; ultimately, while Holmes is a flawed character in many ways, he's also not really someone you can picture being poked fun at except in good-natured ways (which I have Watson and Annika doing at times in the fic) that don't really make him seem stupid. Picking at mistakes made while learning how to adapt to a whole different time would just make him look stupid, and if there's one thing Holmes isn't, it's stupid! *LOL*

I hope I can keep this going; I've been doing really well of late, but real life can be a bitch at times. Still, I've been writing on this fic quite often lately; I'm hoping I can keep the creativity flowing with it.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Well, if you need a sounding board, or someone to go "Write!Write!Write!" thats what this place is for. Real life is always a bitch, rearing its ugly head and throwing curve balls right when it'd be the worse possible moment, so if you have to take a break, take that break. But as you said, at the moment at least, you're plowing ahead, and keeping a good pace, so stick with it! :)
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

*salutes* Wilco roger sir, yes sir!

*chuckles*

I may have a need for a sounding board in the near future; not sure just yet if I will or not, but I'll let you know. And hey; if I can't find something I need a reference for, can you help me research stuff?
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Heh, sure, I can help with research. Be glad to, even ^_^
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Okay then, help me find info on serial killers. Specifically, the psychology behind serial killer partnerships; the whole shebang there. And yes, that may very well give something away in the plot, but then again, maybe it won't. ;)

Edit: Also, see what you can find about what the bible says about the various deadly sins; specific verses. You don't need to quote them, but the chapter and verse will suffice for me to go find it on my own.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Hehe, word,. I'll see what I can find. And by partnerships, we're talking serial killer duos?

as for deadly sins, i dont honestly remember the bible saying :these are the seven deadly sins" but I'll see whats there ^_^
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm looking up stuff myself in these areas, but you may think of search terms I don't; hence me asking for help. :D

And yes, I meant partnerships; I'm interested in the psychology behind why two people may team up to perform murders. The notion of a dominant and submissive partner for example, is of interest, but also the ones where they are equally dominant. I'm trying as best as I can to determine the why of it.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:00 pm

*Scratches beard* Ill sink a little research time into this at work tomorrow maybe, during lunch. See if i can come up with anything intersting. Might also ask the g/f. She finds serial killers fascinating, so she might have some insight ^_^
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Awesome; that is what you are, sir. :D

I'm hopeful (please don't quote me on this though) that I'll maybe have enough typed up in the next few days that I'll feel comfortable enough to post another chapter for you.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

*bows* I'd never hold ya to it, honest :)
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby brutus87 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Well, a quick google search on the phrase "BIble verses on pride" provided this site. not sure if its what you're looking for, but it might help"

http://www.heavensinspirations.com/word-pride.html

Let me know if its what you're looking for :)
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:47 am

Oooh, that's actually a good one; I found one for envy already. Hadn't had a chance to check out the other sins yet though.

Off to a good start; thanks much!
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am

Glad to help/ I'll take a stab at glutony later today, perhaps ^_^
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Sooo, just wanted to pass along...

I got "A Game of Shadows" on DVD. :D
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:03 pm

O.O its out already? man I need to up my game. I got a production deployment Friday, I can afford a new movie
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:33 pm

It be out, it be awesome!!!!
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 am

well, i workedfor 30 hours straight. I was up for 36. this put a crimp in my movie acquiring plans
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:01 pm

You fail miserably. :nono:

(j/k; if I'd been up for nearly 36 hours, I'd have the same problem. Of course, I pre-ordered it, so I'd have received it regardless, but... *LOL*)
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:02 am

hahaha yeah. I might get it after i get some breakfast actually. today is a comp day, because Brutus is still TIRED
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Previous

Return to TV and Movies