Board index    

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Chat of TV and movies

SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Postby Bri » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:52 pm

SHERLOCK HOLMES OPENS ON FRIDAY!!!!!!

Sins are very desirable... as long as no one judges you for them.
Judge of the First Annual JQStyle Christmas Contest 2010
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Re: SQUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Postby Andrea » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:16 am

ha I didn't even know there was a second one.
¿Dónde están los fans de JQ?
Bri's choice winner of July 2010 Clique Fan Art Contest
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Bri » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Ooooooh yes....

Only thing better than Robert Downey Jr. is Robert Downey Jr. with a British accent.

*drools*
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Bri » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 am

Going to see this TONIGHT. I INSIST on that.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:05 pm

Word. I want to see it, but probably wont till next thrusday
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:02 pm

OMFG.

This.

Movie.

RULES.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:40 am

That was a bloody good show, if I do say so myself. I loved all the nods to the original books, and how they blended it all in with a shiny new plot
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:11 pm

FINALLY, someone else has seen it!!!

I'm honestly of the opinion that (and this is totally setting aside my insane desire to have the man's babies) Robert Downey Jr. probably plays Holmes the best of anyone to date.

To my knowledge, every other actor has portrayed Holmes as rather cerebral, unwilling to get his hands all that dirty; but if you read the books, Holmes was absolutely unafraid to get in a scrap and was supposedly an excellent shot, boxer, and a master at some odd martial art Sir Conan Doyle called baritsu. He merely preferred to use his mind rather than his fists in most occasions, but he could absolutely take out any number of opponents if he had to.

I remember thinking when I first saw the trailer for the first movie, "why the hell would they EVER make Sherlock Holmes an action hero?!?" It wasn't until I read the books that I realized he sort of was, and Robert Downey Jr. was the first to portray him that way. To my knowledge at any rate.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:09 pm

I concur. Downey has been the best, and the most hands on, like the origional character.

Incidentally, baritsu is pretty real, i believe. The art of Gentlemen fighting. I was quite popular in the late 1800's
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Yeah, I think it is; the wikipedia page on Holmes mentioned that briefly.

I hope they're planning to make a third Sherlock Holmes movie; as I recall from the books, Holmes came back when Sebastian Moran was threatening London, and as far as I remember he survived this movie, sooo... I'm hoping.

I don't want Mary to die though; that's part of the reason Holmes came back, in my opinion. He knew Watson was alone.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:52 pm

*nod* yeah, Holmes is there right in the end, and well, he does type the '?' mark. The movies are too good/popular to not drag them out as far as they cant. As for Mary dying, i do like the actress they've got playing her, so I'd rather not see her bit the big one. Then again, i was upset to see Miss Irene Adler go. I do not recall Moriarty killing her in the books.

Wonder who they would cast for Moran?
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:20 pm

They already cast him; it was Moriarty's right-hand guy. The thin one with the mustache, who wanted to shoot Watson and called it "unfair" when Watson used the fucking HUGE gun to shoot back. *snickers* Also the one Watson later shot in the stomach. I forgot the actor's name, but lemme see if it's on IMDB...

Okay, some guy named Paul Anderson. I think he's a relative newcomer to Hollywood; probably why he didn't make much of an impression on you. Or me for that matter.

As for Irene; well, she never worked for Moriarty in the books to begin with, as she was always out for her own interests, so that's a departure from the books anyway. I think she had to be killed off in the movie to give Holmes that extra "ooomph" to really want to take Moriarty down. Let me explain that; in the books, Irene Adler is the only woman Holmes really seems to somewhat respect, as he's a bit of a misogynist in other respects (not that he hates women, per se, he just doesn't feel they measure up to his exacting standards), and is therefore characterized by many people as being probably the only woman Holmes could possibly fall in love with, human nature being what it is with wanting to imbue romance into most everything. In every other respect, Holmes really only gets excited by the "thrill of the chase"; the process by which he eventually captures the "villain", even if he never gets the credit for it. It's entirely likely that someone thought that, by having Irene working for Moriarty and being killed by him later, it would spur Holmes on to speeding up his process by which he intends to capture Moriarty rather than letting it drag out and perhaps letting people get injured. Holmes was portrayed as a bit of a selfish bastard most of the time; he's entirely likely to have wanted to draw it out a bit in order to bask in the thrill of meeting and striving against a man who was his intellectual match. Killing Irene would have negated that for him, as he was probably in love with her in some fashion, even if it was more selfish than we typically picture love.

That's what I think anyway. *shrug*
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Bri » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:30 pm

I should probably mention that it is this movie and the first one that prompted my current creative writing project.

I won't say anything else until I'm MUCH further along in it than I am currently... but I have ideas, and I've worked most of the kinks out of the plot in my head in one way or another. If I can get it further along past what I would consider the mid-point of the story, I'll post it in the Clique.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Bri » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:50 am

Out of sheer curiosity, I decided to bone (heh) up on the Holmes stories, specifically the one in which he returns from the dead, as it were. I would imagine they'd adapt it greatly, but I could see it being the start of a movie. I'd actually like it if they could incorporate the Hound of the Baskervilles tale into any sequel though, albeit I have no idea how it could work.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Hehe, could be fun. I need to re-read that story as well. Which one was it?
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:53 pm

"The Adventure of the Empty House" is the title of the one where he comes back "from the dead", as it were.

I'm currently re-reading The Hound of the Baskervilles; I kinda hope they do something with the next one (if there is one) to tie in to that story. I honestly think it would be extremely cool if they could, even if they take some liberties with the plot.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Hmm, thanks. I have both volumes of B&N;s "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" just collecting dust on my shelves. I might go ahead and pick it up once I finish "World War Z".

As for the next movie (there will be another, everything has to at least be a trilogy these days), If they include the Hound, they'll probably take all kinds of liberties. None of what they've done so far is exactly like the books, as far as i can tell. Close, but liberties most definitely taken :)
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:46 am

Yup, true.

Regardless, since it's the most well known of Holmes' cases (like Moriarty is the most well known villain), I'd guess it'd be pretty likely a subject. Although to be fair, they did do an entirely original story (minus the addition of Irene and Moriarty to a sub-plot) in the first one that had supernatural elements, so maybe they'll go with something else. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:39 am

Ya. Still, waiting is going to be hard, since these have been such good movies
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:47 am

I agree.

I've been slowly plugging away on my story. I will admit that I was semi-inspired by a couple of previously done efforts in the genre (a couple of made-for-TV movies in the eighties, and at least one story in the anthology of improbable cases that were written by different sci-fi and fantasy authors), but I think I took it in an entirely different direction.

It's also going to be a semi-crossover; I have plans on linking it with the cast of Criminal Minds and possibly Bones (I'm not sold on that particular plot bunny, but if I can make it work I'll try to include it; the Criminal Minds part is set though), but with an original female character. And yes, because I'm me; there will be romance (in Holmes-ian fashion anyway) between Holmes and my OFC, but not for quite a while. All in all, I really hope I get this one done; I've written a lot more on it than I have on almost any other story I've written in the past, save one, and that one was meant to be more of an ongoing epic than a novel-type of story anyway.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Hehe, yeah, i'd love to see what you come up with,

and i understand about having issues finishing fics. I';ve started so many, the only one i finished, a one shot
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Well like I said, I'll post it if I can get past what I'd consider to be the halfway point. Don't suppose there's any harm in telling you some of the plot though. Basically goes like this:

London is currently having a rash of odd lights appearing in the sky over the Thames, and Holmes is prompted to investigate by his brother Mycroft in the usual cryptic fashion. Watson is sort of out of the picture in this, as he's remarried after the death of his first wife, Mary, to a young gentlewoman that Holmes oddly finds himself tolerating more than he does most women (although that's more due to persistence on Maddie's (that's her name; Madeline, Maddie for short) part than any actual change of heart on Holmes' part). So Holmes is out by the Thames one night when the brightest light of all lights up the sky, and Holmes then discovers an oddly dressed woman fighting off three toughs in a nearby alley using a martial art he's not familiar with. In the process, she gets injured; Holmes comes to her aid, and decides to take her to Watson for medical attention, in the process swearing him and Maddie to secrecy, because it's pretty apparent that the mysterious woman is not exactly from around those parts. In fact, she's Special Agent Annika Li of the FBI... in 2010.

There's more, but I wouldn't want to spoil the rest. :) Annika's probably the most unique character I've ever created, because of one aspect of her character I won't go into so as not to spoil the surprise. Her background though, is that she's half-Russian, half-Japanese (her mother was a member of a Russian ballet troupe; her father a Japanese businessman who saw her dance and convinced her to defect from Russia with him, and they settled in the States), so she's about a foot shorter than Holmes and has slightly softened Japanese features, like long blue-black hair, but her eyes are emerald green.

Holmes does notice her as a woman, but finds himself much more fascinated by her background as an FBI agent. I should mention that this is sort of an alternate universe where Holmes and Watson were real men in history and deductive techniques in the style Holmes uses are taught in their own class at the FBI academy as a result of many (but not all) of Watson's stories surviving into the present day.

There's a lot more to the plot, of course, and if you use the deductive skills of Holmes you of course realize that I plan to have Holmes come forward in time (how else could I tie it in with Criminal Minds?), but as to how it happens; well, I'll leave that for the story to tell. :gotcha:
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Damn. you have whetted my appetite. You must finish this story *nod nod*

And speaking of Holmes and stories, picked up House of Silk earlier today. Looks to be good
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Bri » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm working on it, I promise!

Having to pack stuff means my procrastination instincts tend to kick in, so I've written quite a bit in the past couple of days when I SHOULD have been packing. *LOL* I'm at about the halfway point of the story in Victorian London time; that of course does not mean that I'm at the halfway point of the WHOLE story, just that particular plotline. I plan on having Holmes and Annika working together on a strange case that pops up after she's been there just about two months, and that will take up the majority of the time they spend in London. After that... back to the future! *G*
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Woot Woot. Sounds like a good start. Yay procrastination that leads to writing!
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Next

Return to TV and Movies