Board index    

Favorite ever MST3K episode?

Chat of TV and movies

Favorite ever MST3K episode?

Postby Bri » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Had a little mini-marathon of this today (incidentally, I now own or will own shortly just about every single episode that's been released on DVD; I even own all the collections that are out of print!) by watching The Crawling Hand and Eegah. Joel's not my favorite host (I always kinda preferred Mike) but I was laughing throughout both of these. So I started thinking and was wondering what you guys, those of you who've seen them, think is your all-time favorite episode.

For me, it's kind of a toss-up. I'm quite fond of Jack Frost for some reason; Russo-Finnish fairy tales are apparently hilarious when you realize just how much either we ripped off their story for ours or they ripped off our stories for theirs (it appears to be a mish-mash of Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White if that's any indication for you). Plus, seeing Tom trying to act adorable with large eyes drawn and pasted onto his dome while Mike and Crow appear to not understand his high-pitched girlish baby talk is downright hysterical.

I also have yet to find one that can match up to the sheer hilarity of Space Mutiny. This one's essentially a rip off of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica (in fact, some of the space fight scenes CAME from Battlestar Galactica apparently) all in one, and has a villain with the improbable name of Kalgon (as in, Calgon, take me away!), plus the biggest, dumbest, blondest hero you can find without paying through the nose for Ah-nold. He's so stereotypical, in fact, that Mike and the 'bots spend about a third of the movie just coming up with ridiculous names for the guy (his real name was Reb Brown if you can believe that, and he was known as David Ryder in the film) listed below:

Slab Bulkhead
Bridge Largemeat
Punt Speedchunk
Butch Deadlift
Hold Bigflank
Splint Chesthair
Flint Ironstag
Bolt Vanderhuge
Thick McRunfast
Blast Hardcheese
Buff Drinklots
Crunch Slamchest
Fist Rockbone
Stump Beefknob
Smash Lampjaw
Punch Rockgroin
Buck Plankchest
Stump Junkman
Dirk Hardpec
Rip Steakface
Slate Slabrock
Crud Bonemeal
Brick Hardmeat
Rip Slagcheek
Punch Sideiron
Gristle McThornbody
Slate Fistcrunch
Buff Hardback
Bob Johnson (oh, wait...)
Blast Thickneck
Crunch Buttsteak
Slab Squatthrust
Lump Beefbroth
Touch Rustrod
Beef Blastbody
Big McLargehuge
Smoke Manmuscle
Beat Punchmeat
Hack Blowfist
Roll Fizzlebeef

The movie is also notable for having one of the characters murdered in one scene, and in the very next scene seen calmly sitting at her console like nothing happened, a fact Mike and the 'bots rip on mercilessly.

So how about it? For those of you who've seen the show, what are your favorite episodes?
Sins are very desirable... as long as no one judges you for them.
Judge of the First Annual JQStyle Christmas Contest 2010
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Re: Favorite ever MST3K episode?

Postby Andrea » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:35 pm

I've never really watched it. :ohno:
¿Dónde están los fans de JQ?
Bri's choice winner of July 2010 Clique Fan Art Contest
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Bri » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Drea.

I am disappoint. :nono:
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby brutus87 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:05 am

Cant recall if i ever saw them do "Star Crash" but if not, they should have.

There was one movie they did that i got a great kick out of: dunno the name, but it had Spiders from Space and the Skipper from Gilligans Island.
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Andrea » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Bri wrote:Drea.

I know. I am disappointed in myself too. :ohno:
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby Bri » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 pm

brutus87 wrote:Cant recall if i ever saw them do "Star Crash" but if not, they should have.

There was one movie they did that i got a great kick out of: dunno the name, but it had Spiders from Space and the Skipper from Gilligans Island.

Um, are you sure you're not thinking of The Crawling Hand (http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Crawling_Hand)? That had Alan Hale Jr. in it.

And no, according to the Wiki they did not do Star Crash. Got a link? I'm curious now.

ETA: Never mind; you were thinking of The Giant Spider Invasion (http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Giant_Spider_Invasion). I r dum. :D
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Bri » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Andrea wrote:
Bri wrote:Drea.

I know. I am disappointed in myself too. :ohno:

I highly suggest you go here: http://tv.blinkx.com/show/mystery-scien ... ACH-bUmka#

I'm not sure how many of the episodes are remaining now that Google video is no more, but theoretically you can at least start watching. I recommend starting with Space Mutiny if it's available (can't remember if it is though) in season 8. You will laugh uproariously.
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Postby Andrea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Nice :)
Andrea
Goddess of JQ

Postby brutus87 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 am

Bri wrote:
brutus87 wrote:Cant recall if i ever saw them do "Star Crash" but if not, they should have.

Um, are you sure you're not thinking of The Crawling Hand (http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Crawling_Hand)? That had Alan Hale Jr. in it.

And no, according to the Wiki they did not do Star Crash. Got a link? I'm curious now.

ETA: Never mind; you were thinking of The Giant Spider Invasion (http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/The_Giant_Spider_Invasion). I r dum. :D

Yeah, The Giant Spider was the one I was thinking of.

As for link to Starcrash, all I have is a link to the imdb page. My G/fs brother in law has the damn thing on blu-ray >.<

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/

The best spaghetti western in space, featuring one of the first appearances of The Hoff in movie history http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/
brutus87
True Quest Fan

Postby Zero86-Sk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:33 am

Being the guy from over the pond (as the british say) I never really watched MST3K but thats cause it was never aired here, I started hearing about it and seeing clips of it when we got onto the interwebz

Need to fined some epps or movies someday
Click here to enter the Bunch of Players Blog to read gaming news, reviews and more
Zero86-Sk
Questie

Postby Bri » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Zero, I posted a link in an earlier post that should let you watch some episodes.

I don't know if they're zoned for your area or not, but Shout Factory does offer quite a few collections for sale; alternately you can probably find them on Amazon. In fact, some are available for instant watching on Amazon; at least in the US (don't know about other locations though).
Bri
Goddess of Perversion

Return to TV and Movies